Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Vernal Equinox is Fast Approaching


So it's March 1st...20 more days until the equinox...that means it's probably time to start planning a vegetable garden. I know in a lot of the country, spring still seems far away but garden planning is something to get you excited about spring and summer and maybe lift you out of that winter funk! I am fortunate enough to live in Southern California so I can grow plants and vegetables outdoors pretty much year round. Many people think that they need to have a green thumb to be good at gardening, but I honestly believe that anyone can grow at the very least, some herbs in a few containers on a porch or patio. There are a few herbs that my family grows and we use for cooking quite often in our home. They are, Cilantro, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary and Parsley (Italian or flat leaf). If you enjoy cooking, and do it fairly often, you know how many recipes use at least one of these herbs. You also know how quickly they go bad if not used right away. The benefit for sure of growing some of these everyday herbs, is that you will have them when you need them and they won't go bad on you before you use them...which of course equates to saving money.

No comments:

Post a Comment